Sunday, November 11, 2012

Where The Hell Am I? Welcome to THULIMBAH, QLD


Greetings from Thulimbah..
Home of The Big Apple... Aka The Middle of Nowhere!

I wouldnt even consider "Thulimbah" a town, its more like..where a rail-crossing, a restaurant, store, campground and a few houses meet on the outskirts of Stanthorpe, another middle of nowhere place somewhere in the dusty part of Queensland. So far I have been here for almost two months, but somewhere in between working 12 hour days and dodgy internet connection My Roaming Backpack has been getting the back burner!

All I know is that the magical land of Thulimbah is off of the New England Highway in the middle of The Granite Belt, which is Queensland's grape, stone fruit and apple region. There are hundreds of acres of farm all around me and I am also on the summit of a mountain, which makes the weather here crazy! Ive seen it fluctuate from sunshine to hail in 5 minutes!




Its a quirky little place here.


Beside the house I'm renting is a caravan tourist park, called The Happy Apple. Its basically a mixture of backpacker berry-pickers from all over the world living in these massive tents, mixed in with Aussie people who live here all year long in their mobile homes. Its an interesting mix that's for sure! 

The owner of the park is Autumn, a really cool and creative hippy lady who keeps the area beautiful with her gardening and other small touches. She is also my neighbor and my landlord!  At the moment I am renting a 5 room house from her and sharing it with 4 other people, a couple from Japan, a guy from England and my friend Scott from Canada!

We all usually work during the week and then spend the weekends relaxing, having some drinks and a bonfire, and now that summer's here we are going out for hikes! Yeeeeaaah.

No comments:

Post a Comment