Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sydney, Australia: Circular Quay

Circular Quay, pronounced "Key" is one of Sydney's most well-known attractions. Home to the Opera House, Sydney Harbor & Harbor Bridge, this is the area most people envision when they think about Sydney- at least I know I did. I pictured the iconic Opera House, as I had seen it in so many magazines. I didn't understand the structure then, and I still don't- maybe that's part of the intrigue.


Before leaving Sydney I wined and dined in the area, treating myself to a few Pure Blondes & some fancy-schmancy scallops at a local restaurant. If you're a budget traveler, prepare yourself for a night out at Circular Quay because even appetizers start at 40$ +. Nevertheless its a great experience to do just once, and you're almost guaranteed to enjoy yourself. The view is fabulous, and you'll be in good company as the Quay draws a mature "dinner and drinks" crowd.  Beside the massive Opera House is the Opera Bar among other high-class restaurants and bars lining the beautiful harbor-side, a great place for a celebration or a date-night.


During my visit to the Quay, it was August (Australia's winter) but it was a warm night so everyone was out enjoying the weather. Along the length of the harbor-side is a long, stone bench that stretches continuously from the Wharf's to the Opera House. I imagine when there are fireworks in the harbor this bench manages to fit a lot of people! I sat on the bench, facing the harbor, staring at the Harbor Bridge lit up like a tree at Christmas. The sea looked black in the distance as the lights danced on the water.  

I took a moment to take it all in, realizing where I was and all the hard work it took to get me there. To my right- the magnificent and strange structure, to my left, a sea of high-rise buildings on the edge of a continent.
If you enjoyed this post, please "Like" below to share on FB! Thnx for reading Roaming Backpack!

No comments:

Post a Comment