Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Island of Fiji

For the average Canadian like myself, Fiji is not the typical travel destination. Most people choose something closer in proximity and more familiar, like Cuba or Jamaica. The closest most of us get to Fiji is when some pharmaceutical-paradise commercial interrupts our favourite show.
On my recent flight to Australia (which was extremely cheap) I had a 4-hour layover in Nadi, Fiji, and amazingly, in these 4 short hours the country left a real impression on me. I was disappointed that I was restricted to airport boundaries for my stay, but thought it was a much sweeter opportunity then flying direct to Oz. Whats one more trip through customs? I told myself "Who knows, maybe you will experience something cool."



We left L.A. On August 4th and boarded a Pacific Air flight (soon to return to its original name, “Fiji Airways”). Even in the cabin of a 747, the“island feeling” was there. The flight attendants were all native Fijians. I caught myself staring in awe of their beautiful and distinct native features. We were greeted with "Bula" , hello, in Fijian, as island music played overhead. Wearing colorful island shirts of red and blue and adorned with Masiratu flowers in their hair (the official flower of Fiji). I could not stop my admiration of the native island beauty that is so foreign to me. Arriving at the Nadi airport, 3 Fijian men welcomed us with upbeat songs as they strummed on a guitar and ukuleles.
The customs x-ray area was no more then 10 feet long and the inspectors were laughing with passengers and smiling all the way. It was a nice feeling after leaving some of the largest North American airports. I can see that when one arrives you have this feeling like , "Ahhhh...Im back in Fiji now.." After being sent through to our departures terminal we went looking for some eats- morning was approaching and we were getting hungry! We were shocked and to see the cost of food among other basics. I have a hitch that outside of Nadi, the cost of living is much more reasonable, but prices for everything were ASTRONOMICAL, and to my surprise the Queen of England was on the face of each bill. Up until now I had little knowledge about Fiji at all, so it was a learning experience for me to realize that ,yes, Fiji was colonized by the British. Still, the currency is the Fijian Dollar.

Approaching the dining area in the airport, we glanced at an extremely expensive breakfast menu.Unwilling to pay $16.50 Fijian dollars for one omelette with toast, me and my travel companion decided to go splits on breakfast! We still had a few hours of time to waste afterwards, so we made our own fun and goofed around in the airport for awhile. Watching my travel friend try Vegemite for the first time was especially hilarious.

 For only spending 4 hours in Fiji I was actually sad to leave, and hope to one day visit again. It seems like a really interesting place with beautiful and very friendly people, lots of flavour and culture! Just be sure to bring enough cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment