Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Destination Byron Bay: 2 Days of Travel, Day 1


After talking to one of my bestfriends from home, Jess, she convinced me to get to Byron Bay as soon as possible. It didnt take much for her to twist my arm, and actually I think her exact words were “I would have been there yesterday”. Jeanie, my friend Scott and I decided to go out for Chinese food and drinks to celebrate. We spent the night discussing religion, sex and politics over a few too many glasses of “celebratory” bubbly.
@ a Truck-stop in the middle of nowhere

I woke up to “Somebody that I used to know” pulsing from the alarm clock at 3:00 a.m. That was my cue to grab My Roaming Backpack and catch the 3:40 a.m. bus from Mildura, Victoria to Cootamundra, New South Wales, aka, the middle of nowhere. To top it all off I had one of the worst migraines Ive had in forever, and a ghastly 9 hour bus ride in my immediate future! Everything hurt; smells, light, sound. Really regretting those last few glasses of wine, I wished I could block the world out and go back to bed, but the train ticket was already paid for. "Buy the ticket, take the ride!"

Fields of Cano
 Instead I blocked out as much as I could using earplugs and sunglasses. Then I popped a super-strong form of Aspirin, and asked Scott to work on my pressure points using a technique he learned in Thailand. All I could do was carry on and hope for the best. It was 5 hours until I was relieved on my agony, but I guess it could have been worse. I could have got stranded in Cootamundra! (Jokes, well, not really)

After reaching Cootamundra and waiting 2 hours for the next train into Sydney, I spent the next 6 hours on a train. It was all so boring its really not worth mentioning. It goes a little something like this: Nothingness, nothingness, canola fields, nothingness, more canola fields, old saloon town, dried up river bed, and so on. After a long day we reached Sydney once again, where we grabbed some greasy pizza and falafel wraps and took advantage of the dry sauna and pool at our hostel. I went to bed early and prepared myself for the next morning. In the cards?: a 12 hour train ride to Byron Bay at the crack of dawn.








No comments:

Post a Comment