Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Waking Up in New Zealand, Day 1

On the first of my 8 days in New Zealand I woke up at Base-X Wellington Hostel. It's quite a strange feeling to wake up and have to remember where you are, but after almost a year on the road I am getting used to it. As the night before came back to my memory, I remembered I was in New Zealand! YAY! A huge smile crept across my face. It feels amazing to be somewhere that you have imagined for so long.

 ~ I wish everyone could have the chance to experience this feeling.~

It was exactly 9:55 a.m. and check-out was 10:00 a.m. I knew this meant I had to get all my gear together and to the lobby in under 5 minutes but I cheerfully hopped down the stairs with all kilos in hand (after realizing this old hostel's elevators weren't exactly in tip-top shape.) But nooooo worries- I was in such a great mood nothing could get me down! 

I managed to check out at exactly 10:00 a.m.- muahaha....victory was mine! I grabbed a table in the lobby where a yummy breakfast greeted me.  Fresh orange juice after travel=revival of life! Hells yes! While I had a light brekkie, I opened up my daily calendar book, which is where I usually record all of my travel plans. I scribbled in some details over two cups of tea, O.J. and some jam and toast. I decided to spend the day sightseeing around the city of Wellington (which I had heard was awesome) and buy myself some extra travel time by taking a bus up the North Island that night.


My plan was to head North to Taupo (A), the volcanic area of NZ's North Island


Photo Credit: static.stuff.co.nz
But for now, Day 1 in New Zealand was all about discovering "Wellywood." After brekkie I re-arranged my gear so it would all fit in one of the lockers in the hostel's kitchen. While I was wrestling my tent onto my backpack, I struck up a conversation with this friendly fellow named Wallie. He was a middle-aged Lebanese guy who was in NZ on business, but it turned he was very interested in the whole backpacker lifestyle and also had a long history of travel. He had already traveled through many African countries which intrigued me and after a good 20 minutes chatting he asked if he could join me. I thought sure, why not?  We stepped outside into the crisp, clean air. It was a magnificent sunny day in downtown Wellington and the very best weather for a morning stroll around town! The breeze was cool, salty and delicious. After taking a quick inventory of the CBD we headed straight for the water.


Colorful Kayaks at the City Harbour
Sailboats on glistening waters
After strolling around the harbour and stopping for a quick lunch at an Indian restaurant we continued walking towards wherever looked interesting or beautiful (which was everywhere!).

Eventually we decided it would be great to see a view of the harbour from Mount Victoria. I didn't know the way, but Wallie said he did. As we hiked up the dirt and rock path he struggled a lot and had to take several breaks. I was in flip-flops and had no problems with the hike but stopped with him and caught glimpses of the water through the trees. But the further we walked, the dirt path got smaller and less distinct and I was afraid we might have taken a wrong turn. Wallie kept saying he was sure this was the right path, but I wasn't convinced. Looking off the cliff to the road I could see where many cars were lined up and I think the actual path was somewhere around those cars. I calculated the possibilities. 

Either A) Wallie had made an honest mistake and we were rambling up this hill for nothing, unknowingly, B) We were on the right path (but that seemed unlikely because of the lack of wear on the path, or C) We were going the wrong way and he knew it.

I knew what I had to do. Upfront and honest I just said "I dont think this is the right path and I dont want to go any further. Im leaving the track."  I made my way down towards the lines and colored streaks of cars down below. He tried to sway my decision to continue on the path, but I just knew it was a waste of time, and in fact, it could be dangerous. I didnt have proper footwear and more importantly, I really didn't know him at all. Wallie reluctantly agreed, and he too came down to what appeared to be the main route up the mountainside. It was bustling with people and cars and that gave me a feeling of relief. I was finally back in my comfort zone. 

As we climbed up to Mount Victoria, here is the view of Oriental Bay
Looking down on the harbour
 
After walking back into the city, we went down to the New Zealand's best and biggest museum the Te Papa Museum,which in the Maori language means "container of treasures".
I really wanted to learn about the indigenous of New Zealand and this seemed like the place to go and so we did.

Inside, was a massive, interactive museum with several floors and divisions of native Maori installations, as well as many, many geological exhibits. We walked through the maze of history for hours!

After filling our heads with as much information as humanly possible, we walked back to the hostel where went our separate ways. I never saw Wallie again.

Thanks for reading! 



 

A few things I highly recommend in Wellington, New Zealand:
 
Base Backpackers Hostel 
Te Papa Museum
Masala Indian Restaurant



No comments:

Post a Comment