Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Crossing the Ditch" to New Zealand

Getting ready in Brisbane
My Roaming Backpack.. on the move again. And this time in search of one of the most beautiful and untouched countries in the world, 

New Zealand!

I was heading to New Zealand, home to the indigenous Maori people, active volcanoes, the flightless Kiwi bird and millions of sheep...(yes, sheep!)

The Kiwi bird on the NZ 1$ coin
I was "setting sail" for an exciting 8-day adventure in which I hoped to conquer the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, get the dry heat of Australia off me and get to some fresh, cool waters, do some kayaking and hopefully see some new wildlife! 

When people speak of NZ the pure and pristine eco-system is always a highlight and selling point.  I heard that NZ customs could be pretty strict on what kind of used hiking/camping gear they will allow into their country so I asked my Kiwi friend, Julia about it.  
Being on a backpacker's budget and not wanting to buy all new gear (NZ is not cheap either!), I decided to wash my backpack, sleeping mat, sleeping bag and then scrubbed my well broken-in hiking shoes with an old toothbrush. It was unbelievable what came off and out of those shoes. Australia is one dry, dusty country!

When I arrived at the Wellington airport, my gear was carefully eyed-up by a young and might I say, rather good-looking customs officer. Within a few minutes he was kind of doing his job while flirting with me.  It all felt kind of strange when he said he would need me to come into the quarantine room where he would inspect my tent, haha! Once inside he and his partner did inspect MY TENT. Luckily for me, they weren't very serious about much. We talked and laughed while they pointed out that I didn't look like the type to fly to NZ to hike the Tongariro, a 25 km hike through giant gorges and mountainous, active volcanic terrain. I knew it was purely based on my appearance, since I was dressed rather girly that day, but hey! After living in a mobile home in the middle-of-nowhere-Australia grading onions and watermelons, I was a little more than excited to be a girl again. Skirt, make-up, yes please!

After a little while longer, the fun wore off and I realized it was nearly 2 am and I was exhausted. The officer pointed to some seeds and dirt in my tent, so I helped him collect it into the corners of the tent which he then sucked out with a Dirt Devil. I was then released from the quarantine, waved goodbye to them and exited the airport.

 I was in New Zealand! Wooooooo! 


It was late and I wanted to get to bed as soon as possible to make the most of the following day. After haggling with local taxi drivers, I found the shuttle I wanted, which took me to the city in half an hour for 20$. I got dropped off at my hostel, Base X Wellington and snuck into the dorm room quietly. I climbed to the top bunk and sunk into what Im sure was the comfiest pillow and bed in New Zealand.It was starting to rain, and I fell alseep almost instantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment