Friday, January 18, 2013

Working in Australia: Welcome to Camp "Monteray"

The red dirt road leading to Monteray
After working 3 shit jobs in Australia (that never paid me what I was entitled), I finally found one that didn't completely rip me off. After going one month without a job in Australia (ouch! to my bank account) I found out about this particular job which was inland from Brisbane, Queensland and approximately 40 km outside of a tiny town called Chinchilla. The work? I would be grading onions for one month- not my ideal job, or the way I pictured working in Australia but hey- cash is king.

I set out on the first Greyhound bus to little Chinchilla, and the next day I was getting picked up by an Irish backpacker who would drive me 40 km into the middle of nowhere until we arrived at the base camp where I would live for the next 30 days. I found about 15 other backpackers living at the base camp nick-named Monteray. Some friends, couples and single travelers were living together in caravans and dongars (which are basically caravans without wheels.)




Inside the kitchen/lounge
The dongars
The communal kitchen
There was also a shared kitchen in a separate building, as well as a separate dongar with bathrooms and free laundry facilities inside- bonus. The camp was really basic, but was relatively clean and provided the necessities unlike some of the other farms I lived on in Australia, so you can see how I appreciated it. A few perks were a tv, pool table and fire pit. Needless to say, the other backpackers and myself made the best of it, worked hard through December and January, but had a great holiday season too. It was an amazing experience because I made friends from France, Hong Kong, Germany, Sweden, New Zealand, South Korea, Ireland and many other countries! I shared a dongar (air-conditioned, thankfully!) with a sweet South Korean girl nicknamed Dori and couldnt have asked for a better roomie. It was awesome to be surrounded by so many other people my age, doing what I was doing and with similar interests.
Pictures to come! 

Similar Stories:
The Backpackin Life in the Outback
Australian Working Holiday Visa
Finding Work in Australia as a Backpacker
30 Things Ive Learned About Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment